Sunday, April 6, 2008

Cape Disappointment State Park


Cape Disappointment Lighthouse - we hiked up there!

S'mores chefs.

Evan fully enjoying his first kite!

"Leaning Men"


We spent 4 days during Spring Break at Cape Disappointment State Park. This park is on the Long Beach Peninsula, across the bridge from Astoria. It is so beautiful there! Evan had a TON of "firsts" - staying in a yurt, flying a kite and hiking up to the lighthouse. The weather was a mixed bag: 2 days sun, 2 days semi-rain. Good thing most of the rain poured while we slept! And the little heaters in the yurts? Not a big help. Next time we'll bring more blankets.


My Mom spent the 3rd with us - her birthday! We enjoyed the typical campfire dinner (hot dogs, potato salad, chips and s'mores for dessert). We also enjoyed our restaurant dinners too. :) Good thing we found a Dooger's in Long Beach!
And of course, a little espresso place in Ilwaco made the YUMMIEST Almond Joy Mochas - mmmm.... We didn't really "rough it", did we?


We're glad to be home in our warm, dry, spacious house. BUT - we had a wonderful family camping trip - and we're looking forward to MANY more.

6 comments:

Julie said...

I love the first picture. What a fun family vacation!

Sheri said...

Ahhh, thanks for the memories! We tried to "get" Nick on our last trip to Long Beach ... it took another 6 months before that happened (but, I digress). I've never thought about the yurts, since we love to tent camp. But, I'm thinking maybe we should re-think that idea. Your trip sounded like so much FUN!

Brenda said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful time!

I must admit when I first read your heading "Cape Disappointment" I thought you were making a joke - as in your time at the coast was a big "disappointment". I'm glad I was wrong!!! :o)

Casey said...

Sounds like a great trip! We stayed in that campground when Kelton was 18 months. Rented out one of the cabins not far from the entrance (right by the bathroom - thankfully!). So much fun - I was just looking at the photos the other day.

Ahhhhh....your photos brought back good memories. :)

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great time. Sadly, I feel so tired right now, the highlight of your summary for me was the mention of the Almond Joy Mocha. I might have to drive to Starbucks right now.

ramey holsman said...

That is near one of my FAVORITE mushroom picking spots in the world!